The summer season brings lots of outdoor fun, including family cookouts and barbecues. There are lots of hamburgers and hot dogs eaten during this time. Personally, we tend to grill out twice a week here. Though it’s easy just to run to the store and grab whatever is on the shelf for these get togethers, our family really tries to eat healthy for these meals.
You may not have realized this, but 80% of antibiotics sold in the United States are used in animal agriculture. They are often used to promote animal growth (making their meat more plentiful and therefore more valuable) and to offset the unsanitary and overcrowded conditions.
Applegate, however, understands health as well as quality when it comes to their meats. They don’t use any antibiotics or hormones on their animals. Their hot dogs are also nitrite free. They are all about natural and organic!
I am excited to announce that Applegate hot dogs are now available in many Atlanta area stores. You can check out Applegate’s Facebook page for a product locator to find stores near you that sell their healthy hot dogs.
In celebration of these healthy hot dogs, I wanted to share a few healthy grilling tips with my readers.
- Be aware of cook times for different meats. You definitely do not want to under cook your meat, due to salmonella, e coli, and other bacteria. However, charring it isn’t very healthy either. The super blackened areas of steaks or chicken can actually contain carcinogens, so be sure to remove any before eating.
- Marinate your meats. There are SO many marinade recipes out there, and they can really boost the flavor of your meal.
- Don’t forget the condiments! Ketchup, mustard, onions, and relish make great topping for your hot dogs.
- Toss some veggies on the grill too! Grilled onions, squash, carrots, and other vegetables make a great side item for steaks, seafood and other grilled meats. Plus, they are super nutritious, of course! Make veggie kabobs so they can be easily placed on and removed from the grill.
- Clean your grill after each use. Allow it to cool and give it a good scrub down. This will make it much easier to use the next time you open the lid!