Fireworks safety is very important, especially since they are often included as part of Independence Day celebrations. Because of their flammability and burn risks, safety precautions should always followed, particularly when children are concerned.
Below are several July 4th Fireworks Safety Tips that can keep kids as well as adults from being injured during the holiday. Please share these with your family and friends, especially parents!
- Never allow your children to play with fireworks alone. There should be an adult supervising them at all times. Young children should not be allowed to light fireworks at all, even with adult supervision.
- Keep kids a safe distance from the fireworks when they are being lit. Many accidents involving fireworks occur when a lit one goes astray and hits a child that is standing too close.
- Do not try to relight a dud. It’s possible that it will explode as you are attempting to light it a second time.
- Only one person should be lighting fireworks at one time – and be sure to only light one firework at a time.
- Do not play with fireworks inside the home. There is too much risk of fire and it’s just unsafe overall.
- Be sure to have a water source, such as a water hose or filled bucket, handy. This will help put out any fires that may arise before they spread.
- Only buy legal fireworks from trusted places. Homemade or illegal versions can be VERY unsafe and could result in burns or other injuries if used.
- Shoot fireworks in a well open area outdoors. Stay away from and do not point fireworks toward homes or trees. Approximately 50,000 fires are started from fireworks being improperly positioned or used too close to homes and other structures each year.
- When finished shooting fireworks, an adult should drench the remaining pieces with water before picking them up off the ground or disposing them in the trash. Kids may not realize they are still lit and one could explode in a child’s hand if not wet with water first.
- Teach children these fireworks safety tips so that everyone has a safe and fun experience!