Today is a huge day for NFL fans everywhere. I’m not too much into football, but getting together with friends and family is always fun. Plus, the heaps of finger foods created in celebration of the big game are super delicious!
In honor of the game, I thought I’d share some interesting facts and information on the Super Bowl with my readers today.
- The first Super Bowl was held on January 15, 1967 at the Memorial Colisium in Los Angeles, California, between the Green Bay Packers and Kansas City Chiefs.
- No football team has ever participated in a Super Bowl game at their home stadium.
- The average Super Bowl party consists of 17 guests.
- In 2011, the Super Bowl became the most watched American television program in history, with an average audience of 111 million viewers. It took the top spot over the previous year’s Super Bowl. Will this year’s become the #1 watched in history?
- Commercials aired during the Super Bowl are the more expensive than they are at any other time of the year.
- Miami, Florida is the city that has hosted the most Super Bowls.
- No Super Bowl has every gone into overtime.
- After Thanksgiving Day, Super Bowl Sunday is the second largest day for food consumption in the US.
- Super Bowl Sunday is also one of the top days of the year for alcohol consumption in the US. It ranks up there with New Year’s Eve and St. Patrick’s Day.
- Lots of guacamole, an estimated 8 million pounds, is consumed during Super Bowl Sunday.